Hydro Tasmania is Australia’s leading renewable energy business, serving electricity, renewable energy and water management markets. Our head office is in Hobart, Tasmania.
We generate hydropower in Tasmania and trade electricity derivative products and energy-related environmental products such as Renewable Energy Certificates in the Australian market.
Our consulting arm - Hydro Tasmania Consulting – offers products and services internationally, focusing on the Asia-Pacific region, based on the expertise we have developed over our 100-year history in power schemes, water management, renewable energy developments and environmental management. Hydro Tasmania Consulting is located at Cambridge, Tasmania, and has regional offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and New Delhi, India.
During 2008/09 we acquired a 51 per cent stake in the Victorian electricity retailer, Momentum Energy Pty Ltd.
Hydro Tasmania is owned by the State of Tasmania. See our ownership structure in figure 2.
Our range of joint ventures includes Roaring 40s Renewable Energy Pty Ltd which we hold with the CLP Group. At 30 June 2009, Roaring 40s owned three wind farms in Australia with several other developments approved or in planning processes across a number
of Australian states.
Our business structure is shown in figure 3.
The following diagram shows our position in the electricity supply chain and our associated activities:
- Hydro Tasmania received the following awards during 2008/09:
- Tasmanian 2008 WorkCover Safety Award
- ‘Highly commended’ award in the GRN Australasian Ecological Restoration Projects for our long-term land rehabilitation projects
- Winner of the esaa Sustainability Report Award 2009 for the 2007/08 Annual Report
- Bronze award in the Australasian Reporting Awards 2009 and one of four finalists in the sustainability category for the 2007/08 annual report
- Winner of ‘Best Overall Annual Report Award in the year 2008’, Tasmanian Division of the Institute of Public Administration Australia.