Sustainability is in our nature
Sustainability is one of Hydro Tasmania's core values and we are committed to creating a sustainable future. Sustainability for Hydro Tasmania involves the transparent and balanced application of economic, environmental and social considerations to business decisions and activities.
Our Sustainability Code (PDF 1.8 MB) identifies the seven principles that explain what it means for us to be sustainable.
The Code is being applied across our business as shown below, and our challenge is to further integrate our sustainability code.
- Balanced scorecard: annual strategies and targets that determine our priorities for the year.
- Long-term sustainability indicators: The long-term sustainability indicators (LSI) reflect the longer-term (5 year) strategic priorities, as set out in the Corporate Plan. The LSIs relate directly to Hydro Tasmania’s Sustainability Code – creating a ‘line of sight’ between the Sustainability Code, the long-term strategy and the balanced scorecard. Progress against our LSIs can be found within our annual reports.
- Annual sustainability report: Our annual report summarises our business performance based on our Sustainability Code, and includes independent verification to ensure the information we report publicly is accurate, material to our stakeholders and inclusive of their interests.
- Materiality process: in order find out which issues are important we draw upon a number of different sources of information which include but are not limited to:
- customer and client surveys
- supplier and stakholder surveys
- media monitoring
- Government Businesses Scrutiny Committee hearings
- annual risk management plans
- employee survey and leadership group interviews.
The materiality process and findings are reviewed annually by an independent third party against the international AA1000 Assurance Standard, whic hensures important issues are identified and responded to with honesty and integrity. The material issues for each financial year can be found within our annual reports.
International - we report annually against the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Sustainabilitly Reporting Guidelines. We aim for the best practices as laid out in these international standards. Find the GRI index and our annual reports here.